It's the story of Dee, the rebellious ward of a powerful politician who decides to escape the fate she sees coming for her. She apprentices herself to an inscrutable alien and his partner, a quantum-based artificial intelligence. Out in the galaxy, Dee enjoys a life of danger and adventure traveling between worlds but must come to terms with all she's done.
The Cold Distance, will be available across all electronic platforms including Kindle, iBooks, Kobo and Nook as well as paperback in July 2016. It's a space opera, science fiction.
So, details. Here are some details:
- That's not the cover up there. That's just for the announcement. I expect to be able to reveal the cover at the end of May. I'll tell you more about the artist as that gets closer. Those who stop by my Artists Alley table at Planet Comicon will get to see it before it goes out on the web.
- I've hired an independent, professional editor for the book. It ain't cheap, but it's absolutely worth it. I'll get it back from her at the end of March, I think. Follow me on Twitter for how that's going on a day to day basis. Fewer updates will show up on Facebook.
- There are other hands involved in getting this book out to you: a professional designer and a dab hand at formatting will help out.
- The title comes from a song. You can probably guess which one.
- A gang of beta readers have given me feedback, one of whom is an editor herself. This story has changed and grown, been cut and built through multiple drafts into what it is now with their help. I owe them a debt I can never repay.
- The book started out as a NaNoWriMo work in 2011. It's taken a long, long time to take what was a good outline generated during NaNo and turn it into a real novel. You've heard the stories of people writing a 'novel', slapping a cover on it and 'throwing' it up for sale. That's definitely not the case here. This book is the best I can make it. It's 1000% better than the zero draft.
Which leads me to my promise to you, my potential reader.
I am giving you the best possible, most professional novel I can at this time. I am working with people who know what they're doing. It's my book, but it's not just me putting it together for you. I won't give you a half-assed, rushed out piece of dreck. I promise you're getting a professional-level product, or as close as I can get. Anything I ask you to pay for will be at that level.
All this comes from my history of playing in bands and self-publishing comics. All my experience in those arenas, and the moderate successes of them, is informing this. The Cold Distance is the best thing I've ever created. I want it out in the world in the best way.
I want you to have it.